E-mail: [email protected]
• EU Foreign Policy
• EU-Russia relations
• Russian Foreign Policy
• French Foreign Policy
• Central Europe
Dr. David Cadier is a TAPIR Fellow at the Center for Transatlantic Relations, SAIS Johns Hopkins University, and an Associate at LSE IDEAS, London School of Economics. He focuses in his research on EU-Russia relations, on the foreign policies of EU member states (especially France, Poland and the Czech Republic) and on Russia’s foreign policy.
From 2012 to 2015, he was a Teaching Fellow in International Strategy and Diplomacy at the London School of Economics. There, he taught in the International Relations Department and on LSE IDEAS Executive Masters in International Strategy and Diplomacy.
David obtained his PhD from Sciences Po Paris in 2012. He held visiting positions at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy in Boston, the Prague Institute of International Relations and the Finnish Institute of International Affairs in Helsinki. He taught at various universities, including the London School of Economics, Sciences Po Lille and Charles University in Prague. He also had professional experiences at the OSCE Headquarters in Vienna, at the OSCE Mission to Serbia and at the French Embassy to Estonia.
David’s recent publications include Russia’s Foreign Policy: Ideas, Domestic Politics and External Relations (Palgrave 2015, co-edited with Margot Light), “Eastern Partnership vs Eurasian Union? The EU–Russia Competition in the Shared Neighborhood and the Ukraine Crisis” (Global Policy, October 2014) and “Detour or direction? The Europeanization of France’s policies towards Russia” (FIIA Briefing Paper, May 2016). He has an extensive media experience, writing op-eds or providing comments for outlets such as Le Monde, BBC News, Newsweek, Voice of America or The Moscow.
- Russia 2030: potential impact on French policies’, European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR), July 2016
- Detour or direction? The Europeanisation of France’s policies towards Russia’, FIIA Briefing Paper 195, The Finnish Institute for International Affairs, May 2016.
- Russia’s foreign policy: ideas, domestic politics and external relations (co-edited with Margot Light), Palgrave, Palgrave Studies in International Relations, July 2015.“
- “Policies towards the post-soviet space: the Eurasian Economic Union as an attempt to develop Russia’s structural power?” and “Conclusion: foreign policy as the continuation of domestic politics by other means” in David Cadier & Margot Light (eds), Russia’s foreign policy: international perceptions, domestic politics and external relations.
- Eastern Partnership vs Eurasian Union? The EU–Russia Competition in the Shared Neighbourhood and the Ukraine Crisis”, Global Policy, Vol. 5, Issue 1, October 2014
- The Geopolitics of Eurasian Economic Integration (editor), LSE IDEAS Special Report 19, June 2014
- French Foreign Policy Toward Central Eastern Europe” (with Elsa Tulmets), DGAPanalyse Number 11, German Council on Foreign Relations, May 2014
- “Is the European Neighbourhood Policy a substitute for enlargement?”, in The Crisis of EU enlargement, LSE IDEAS Special Report 18, November 2013
- “Après le retour à l’Europe: convergences et contrastes dans les politiques étrangères des pays d’Europe centrale” [After the Return to Europe : Convergences and Contrasts in the foreign policies of Central European countries], Politique Etrangère, September 2012/3
- “La Présidence polonaise ou la fin de la ‘Nouvelle Europe’” [Poland’s EU Presidency : the end of the ‘New Europe’], Le Monde, 12 July 2011
- “The EULEX Mission in Kosovo”, Transatlantic Security Papers, Centre For Transatlantic Relations/ Fondation pour la Recherche Stratégique, June 2011