You are invited to attend a special event on December 15. Five Washington Area think tanks are cooperating on series of conferences on the future of NATO. Those five are: SAIS’ Center for Transatlantic Relations, the Center for Strategic and International Studies, the Atlantic Council of the United States, the German Marshall Fund, and the Center for a New American Security.
This is the third conference in that series. It focuses on NATO Transformation and Adaptation. In the face of new and growing challenges to NATO’s East, South and North, what does the North Atlantic Alliance need to do to prepare itself to meet those challenges, both now and in the future? To answer that question, the Center for Transatlantic Relations has assembled a senior group of NATO civilian and military leaders as well as current and former U.S. officials with close ties to the alliance.
This conference is being supported by both NATO’s Allied Command Transformation and by the Embassy of the Netherlands. The discussions will be held on a Chatham House (not for attribution) basis.
We hope you will be able to join us.
8:15 am Welcome: Dan Hamilton, Executive Director, Center for Transatlantic Relationsand Hans Binnendijk, Senior Fellow, Center for Transatlantic Relations
8:30-9:15 am Keynote address: A Vision for Alliance Transformation
General Denis Mercier, Supreme Allied Commander Transformation
Introduced by Dan Hamilton, CTR
9:15 am-10:45 am Panel 1: NATO’s Emerging Challenges and New Missions
- Chair: Andras Simonyi, CTR Managing Director and Former Hungarian Ambassador to NATO and to the U.S.
- Enhancing Deterrence in the East: Frank Kramer, former Assistant Secretary of Defense:
- A Southern Strategy for NATO: Mariaangela Zappia, Permanent Representative of Italy to NATO
- NATO’s Emerging Challenges and New Missions: Sorin Ducaru, Assistant Secretary General for Emerging Security Challenges, NATO
11:00 am-12:45 pm Panel 2: Energizing NATO’s Long Term Capabilities Development
- Chair: Kori Schake, Stanford University
- High End Requirements: David Ochmanek, RAND Corporation
- Naval Forces and Combat Enablers: RADM Peter Gumataotao, Deputy Chief of Staff, Strategic Plans & Policy (SPP), Allied Command Transformation
- Operating in Crisis: Steve Covington, International Affairs Advisor to SACEUR
- Defeating Hybrid Threats: Fabrice Pothier, Director of Policy Planning, NATO
- Adjusting NATO’s Nuclear Policies: Frank Miller, Scowcroft Group
12:45-2:00 pm Working Lunch: NATO Today and Tomorrow
Robert Work, Deputy Secretary of Defense
Introduced by Hans Binnendijk, CTR
2:00-4:00 pm Panel 3: Maximizing Efficient Use of Resource
- Chair: Jim Townsend, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense
- Implementing the Wales Summit: Timo Koster, Director, Defense Policy and Capabilities, NATO
- Setting NATO’s Military Requirements: LTG Jeff Lofgren, Deputy Chief of Staff, Capability Development, Allied Command Transformation
- Innovative Concepts for the Alliance: Kath Hicks, Senior Vice President, CSIS
- Resourcing a Cyber Strategy for NATO: Nora Bensahel, American University
- The Future of NATO Enlargement and Partnerships: James Appathurai, Deputy Assistant Secretary General for Political Affairs, NATO
4:15-5:15 pm Interview with Current and Former U.S. Ambassadors to NATO
Doug Lute, U.S. Ambassador to NATO
Robert Hunter, CTR Senior Fellow and former U.S. Ambassador to NATO
interviewed by Hans Binnendijk, CTR Senior Fellow
5:15 pm Closing Comments: General Mercier, SACT
5:30 pm Reception at SAIS hosted by Dutch Embassy